Protect Against Frozen Pipes this Winter
Having to deal with frozen or burst pipes is never a great way to begin the New Year. When a pipe freezes and bursts, it can cause serious water damage to the home, leading to costly repairs for homeowners or landlords.
Skaggs-Walsh’s expert plumbers can handle any repair service no matter how severe it may seem. Our residential and commercial customers have peace of mind knowing they’re in the best hands possible for all their plumbing needs. Whether you need a quick repair or a larger installation, our team of professionals can tackle any task.
The first line of defense is keeping your heating system in proper working order! You should contact us if your system needs replacing or repairs.
Ways to keep your pipes from freezing:
- Turn off water to outdoor faucets and remove hoses - draining the pipes first
- Insulate accessible pipes and the water meter - especially if they're in an uninsulated garage or basement
- Repair broken and cracked windows, doors and walls to keep air contained
- Seal up crawl spaces to eliminate drafts
- Upgrade or replace old insulation in exterior walls to avoid cold drafts
- Keep your thermostat set to 55 degrees or above at all times, even when you are not home
- If you will be away from home for any length of time, arrange for someone to check your house to make sure the heat is still working and there are no other issues.
With over 85 years of service in New York, you can trust us when we say that one of the last things you want to deal with is a burst pipe. Following these simple tips from Skaggs-Walsh will help prevent a disastrous situation before it occurs. If a pipe does burst, call us at (718) 353-7000 or (516) 227-3700, and for more information about all of our Skaggs-Walsh services, visit our contact us page!