Preventing Frozen Pipes During a New York Winter
Skaggs-Walsh customers know that during a cold New York winter we have them covered with a wide range of heating services anddeliveries. There are, however, other aspects of the home, such as the pipes of your plumbing system, which could use a little extra attention from homeowners as the temperatures drop.
What are you doing to protect your pipes from freezing? Here are a few tips to help!
· Keep garage doors closed if there are water supply lines running through it
· Allow warm air to circulate around plumbing by opening your kitchen and bathroom cabinet doors
· Letting water drip from a faucet that’s supplied by exposed pipes can help prevent freezing
· Keep the thermostat set to the same temperature during the coldest days – especially during a cold snap!
· If you’re going away, don’t set the temperature any lower than 55 degrees Fahrenheit
· Add insulation to attics, basements, crawlspaces, and any other locations throughout your home where pipes are present. Additionally, you can add insulation to the pipes themselves for extra protection
We hope you find these tips helpful in maintaining your comfort during this heating season. If you have any issues with your plumbing system, don’t hesitate to call our offices at 718-353-7000.