Let’s Talk About Energy Efficiency!
The term efficiency can apply to many things: materials used, money spent, effort made and time taken. In the case of home heating equipment, efficiency is most commonly associated with energy – or the fuel used to power the equipment.
So what exactly is energy efficiency?
Energy efficiency is a furnace or boiler’s ability to take heating oil and turn it into usable heat. The higher the efficiency, the more heat you’re getting to enjoy. For example, if a furnace has an energy efficiency rating of 90%, that means 90% of the fuel is utilized by the equipment. The higher efficiency the better... and that’s money well spent!
Why does energy efficiency matter?
Since a higher efficiency means fuel is used more effectively, it’s helping in a few different ways…
● Homeowners are saving on heating costs since their fuel goes further
● Fewer emissions, or greenhouse gases, are being released into the atmosphere
● Equipment stays cleaner and requires fewer service calls related to soot buildup
How do you maintain equipment’s efficiency?
While it’s true that modern equipment boasts higher efficiency ratings, those numbers mean little if the equipment isn’t properly maintained. Over time, the efficiency of a heating system can decrease – but regularly scheduled tune-ups can help to prevent this.
You can also help improve your home heating system’s efficiency by following these steps:
● Clean or replace filters for your furnace at least once a month to maintain optimal airflow and comfort
● Keep warm-air registers, baseboard heaters and radiators from being blocked by furniture, carpeting, drapes or dust by keeping them clean and clear
● Inspect exterior vents, keeping them clear of debris and nests
● Install and learn how to best utilize a programmable or smart thermostat to help save on energy costs
● Check and replace weather stripping and caulk around doors and windows to keep out cold drafts and keep in the warm air
To sum up, if you want to put your energy dollars to good use, consider upgrading your heating equipment after it has been in service for 10 or more years. Energy efficiency is all about saving you on heating costs! Call or contact us online to learn more about our home heating services.