Why Switch to Gas Heat?
"Switch to gas heat." "Convert to gas." The gas utilities are spending millions of dollars to convince Oil heat customers that natural gas is the best fuel on the market. But there's plenty they won't tell you. And that's why we would like to present the truth about natural gas the utilities are keeping under wraps.
Here Are 6 Reasons Why Oil Heat Is Better Than Gas Heat
- Oil heat is better for the environment than gas heat. Utility gas is made up largely of methane, which is 60 times more powerful as a greenhouse gas than carbon dioxide. Oil heat is moving towards new environmentally friendly blends like ultra-low sulfur Oil heat and renewable Bioheat® fuel - both of which are mandated in New York City. Tomorrow's blend of reduced-sulfur Oil heat and biofuel "may well become the preferred fuel for lowering greenhouse gas emissions in the U.S.," according to the Energy Research Center.
- Oil heat is safer than gas heat.Nothing beats the safety record of Oil heat. Unlike natural gas, Oil heat is not explosive. To ignite, Oil heat must be heated to 140 degrees and converted into a vapor. What's more, if you have a system malfunction, an Oil heating system will give you telltale signs such as smoke, odors or even soot before releasing dangerous levels of carbon monoxide (CO). Gas heating systems give you no warning of CO production or release, leading to potentially fatal carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Oil heat bills are easier to understand than gas heat bills.Unlike utility gas bills, which contain line after line of charges, your Skaggs-Walsh bills are only for the gallons you receive - they tell you exactly what you're paying for, in no uncertain terms.
- Oil heat upgrades cost less than gas conversions and save you more money. Converting from an Oil heating system to a gas heat system can cost as much as $9,000 - and then there's no payback from this substantial investment. That's why the Consumer Energy Council of America (CECA) has concluded that: "In 95 out of 100 cases, it makes economic sense to stick with oil, and if an energy-related investment is desired, to invest in conservation."
- Many gas utilities do not provide routine service on home heating equipment. Some utility companies may subcontract their service and installation work, while others ask their customers to refer to the phone book to find a heating service technician. In addition, gas utilities often provide no emergency burner service. Skaggs-Walsh is a full-service home comfort company. You can rest assured that our technicians are available around the clock and throughout the year, and we never subcontract our work.
- With Oil heat - and Skaggs-Walsh - you get warm, personal service - something you won't get from the gas utility. Skaggs-Walsh is a family owned and operated company offering personalized, "I'll-be-right-over" service since way back in 1933. We know your home ... your heating system ... and most of all, you. In contrast, the gas company is often a large, multinational, bureaucratic entity.
The American Energy Coalition's website gives you many more reasons you should not switch to gas heat. Discover the facts about gas the utilities won't divulge - and if you have any questions or concerns at all, please contact us.